On December 6, 2023, the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) introduced a new scheme to help ride-hailing, taxi and freelance delivery workers who get hurt at work.
It is called the NTUC Care Fund (Work Injury Relief).
The new scheme covers eligible freelance point-to-point (P2P) and delivery workers who are part of NTUC-affiliated groups:
1. National Delivery Champions Association (NDCA)
2. National Private Hire Vehicles Association (NPHVA)
3. National Taxi Association (NTA)
The new scheme is something new as there is no special help for taxi drivers, private hire drivers, and freelance delivery workers who sustain injuries while working.
Eligible workers who are members of NTUC’s affiliated groups can get help quickly.
They can receive $250 worth of NTUC Fairprice vouchers within 72 hours of applying. The application process will commence on January 15, 2024.
Eligibility to claim
To be eligible to claim, the individual
- Must be a member of the NPHVA, NTA or NDCA for at least three months to be eligible for the scheme.
- Must be granted medical or hospitalization leave due to their injury for a continuous duration of five days or more.
3. Must submit their claim application within two weeks from the date of issue date for their medical or hospitalisation leave or within two weeks after discharge.
The issue date of medical or hospitalisation leave must not be more than two weeks from the date of injury.
They must also provide evidence of their work and income during the time of the accident, like a screenshot from the platform app displaying the member’s name and activity status on the accident date.
Members can only submit one application for a single accident, and they can receive approval for a maximum of two different applications in a year.
At the time of application, they need to have been continuously paying for membership for at least three months.
Members can request to join the program through their affiliated associations. These associations will review the applications and distribute vouchers to members or their chosen family representative within 48 to 72 hours after a successful application.
The annual membership fee to join the union is S$117.